Heath-Newton LLP Counselors at Law

Bay Area Family Law Blog


How to Dismiss a Divorce in California

I read this morning that Maria Shriver is having second thoughts about divorcing Arnold Schwarzenegger. TMZ reports that her religious views do not allow divorce.

The good news for Maria, and for anyone else having second thoughts about divorce, is that dismissing a pending divorce case is fairly simple for the party who filed it. In California, the party who filed for divorce only needs to fill out one form: the CIV-110 Request for Dismissal. Once that has been filed and served on the other party, the case is done. Only the party who filed the divorce can dismiss it.

The drawback is that if you decided to continue with the divorce, you’ll have to start all over again and pay the filing fees anew. This is a process that most parties can handle on their own. It’s typically best to allow your attorney to handle the dismissal, however, if you’re already represented.

Categories: Divorce

Leave a Comment: