7 Things to Look for in a California Divorce Attorney
If you’re getting divorced, this will likely be the most difficult legal challenge you ever face. Choosing the right California divorce attorney is extremely important. A good attorney can put you at ease, handle the stressful issues for you, and get the whole thing done as efficiently as possible. A bad attorney will increase your stress, make the process more complicated, and cost you tens of thousands more dollars than a good attorney. Choose wisely. Here are several factors that you should consider.
- Divorce or Family Law Attorney. Select an attorney who focuses on California family law and divorce law – as opposed to a generalist lawyer who dabbles in everything. Divorce is complex, and you deserve an expert.
- Local Attorney. Select local counsel who knows the local court system. Procedures, judges, and other attorneys are very localized in family law. It’s important that your attorney knows what game she’s playing.
- Collaboration. Select a California divorce attorney who will be your advocate while working collaboratively and cooperatively with your spouse’s attorney – not someone who will make everyone angrier and more resentful, encouraging everyone to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. In other works, DO NOT HIRE A SHARK. These so-called “shark” attorneys always make matters worse and more expensive. Instead, hire an attorney you trust to protect your rights focus on the end-game of getting done quickly and efficiently.
- Mutual Respect. Choose an attorney that you respect – and then follow your attorney’s advice. Select an attorney who will listen to you and understand your personal goals while providing you guidance about your goals within the context and framework of the legal system.
- Available. Choose a California divorce lawyer who has time to dedicate to your case. While it may be appealing to hire your favorite celebrity’s lawyer, he may not have the time to give your case the attention you deserve. At this stage of your life, it will be helpful to have an attorney who is able to respond to you and your case in a timely fashion.
- Respected by Peers. Select a California divorce attorney who is respected by her peers. That respect is key to getting your divorce done efficiently.
- Comfort. Hire an attorney who makes you feel comfortable and in control. It is important that you are comfortable with the court process and what lies ahead, providing you peace of mind and stability in this difficult transition.
How to Contact a Qualified California Divorce Attorney
Our office practices exclusively in the area of California family law. Feel free to give us call if you have any questions about our firm or our philosophy. We’re always happy to help you make your divorce process easier. We can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 415.398.1290.